The first stage was the Gurdwara built at 1866 West 2nd Avenue in Vancouver by the Khalsa Diwan Society. As the Sikh community grew, there was need for bigger premises. This resulted in building a brand new Gurdwara at 8000 Ross Street in Vancouver in 1969.
1970’s and 1980’s brought a large number of Indo-Canadian immigrants to Canada. Thus a number of pioneers at Ross Street Gurdwara felt the need for a new Gurdwara and chose Richmond for the site. They bought 10.5 acres of land on No. 5 Road in 1983. The land included a farm house which was renovated into a Gurdwara. In order to meet the needs of a growing congregation the old Gurdwara was replaced by the present one in September 1993.
Thanks to the generosity of prominent pioneer, businessman and philanthropist Mr. Asa Singh Johal and his family, Gurdwara Nanak Niwas has become a great credit not only to Richmond but also to the entire Sikh Community.
The building of the Gurdwara is a double storey building. Langar hall, kitchen, library, office, residences of the priests and washrooms are on the ground floor, whereas assembly (Diwan) hall, place for Sukh Aasan, separate place for Akhand Path, rooms for handicapped men& women on both sides of the Diwan hall, which are also used for children, and separate shoe racks (Jorha Ghar) for men and women are all on the second floor. Diwan hall has the capacity to accommodate 1000 persons. The program of the Diwan hall can easily be watched with the help of closed circuit television in the Langar hall.
The Gurdwara is a top attraction for public and first choice for young men and women to get married there because of its beautiful location, landscaping, park decorated with colorful seasonal flowers, sprinklers, huge parking lot, overall maintenance, skillful cleaning arrangements and all efficient staff. On the east side of The parking lot there is a special arrangement of swings etc. for The young kids.
Behind the building there is a vast stretch of green tender grass extended up to The highway around The whole property fir trees are standing just like guards. In 1999, at The occasion of tri-centenary celebration of The birth of Khalsa, a memorial “Yadgar-E-Khalsa” installed on behalf of 37 Gurdwara managing committees of B.C and USA is also gracefully present in The park of The Gurdwara, which is a great center of attraction for devotees and visitors.